If playing the guitar is what makes you happy in life and you’re keen to make it your career, then studying a guitar course at HCM Ware, HCM Letchworth or HCM Milton Keynes can help set you on the path to being a professional guitarist.
Our one-year Level 2 Music Performance Diploma in Guitar course will help you advance your guitar technique, performance skills and music theory knowledge, as well as allowing those who didn’t perform as well as they’d hoped in their GCSEs to retake English and/or math GCSEs or Functional Skills while studying music.
Our two-year Level 3 Music Performance Diploma in Guitar is the equivalent to three A-levels and is a great alternative to the usual sixth form route. You’ll develop into a well-rounded guitarist and performer with a strong awareness of how the modern music industry works.
Music diploma courses for UK and EU students aged 18 or under* are free, and there are also funding options available for those aged 19+.
When you study guitar at HCM, you’ll cover a host of techniques to make you a versatile guitarist, including:
- Chord charts
- Sight reading
- Embedded instrument maintenance, such as string changing and intonation
- Chords (from power to extended)
- CAGED system
- Scales including pentatonic, blues and major, and their application
- Chord progressions
- Embedded music theory and knowledge
- RH rhythm techniques up to 16th note subdivisions using down and up strokes
- Advanced techniques such as bending, vibrato, legato, sweep picking, tapping
- Picking including hybrid, alternate, economy and fingerpicking
- Songs from genres including blues, rock, pop and funk, specifically chosen to help you explore the guitar techniques you’re learning about and put them into context